Wednesday, February 17, 2010

{devils food cake cupcakes - yummo}


I do not know why, but I have had some intense food cravings lately and I'm actually hungry. This isn't the norm for me...I usually skip breakfast, eat a little lunch and by the time dinner comes, I'm hungry but when I take my first bite, I'm already full. I've been like this for years. Then, out of the blue I'm hungry all the time. Not a bad thing though. When I have an appetite, I crave sweets really bad! Super Bowl Sunday we went to our friends house and she had the most amazing cupcakes with the best frosting I have ever had. They have been on mind driving me crazy so I decided to come up with my own yummy cupcakes with the same delicious frosting.  

Thanks to the olympics Biggest Loser was not on and I didn't feel like sitting on the couch trying to find something descent to watch so I headed to the kitchen. Since they turned out so well, I thought I would share the recipe with you all.  



Devils Food Cake Cupcakes with Fluffy White Frosting


Devils Food Cake:
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 shortening
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups cold water

1. Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease your muffin pan; set pan aside. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and water to shortening mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour batter into muffin pan.

3. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.  Cool on wire wracks for 10 minutes.  

4. Once the cupcakes have cooled down, frost each cupcake and sprinkle with your desired topping.

Fluffy White Frosting:

1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla to soft peals. Gradually add the sugar mixture while whipping constantly until the stiff peaks form, about 7 to 10 minutes.

I hope you like them as much as I do.  If you decide to try them out, let me know and tell me what you think. If you have any questions, leave me a comment or send me an email and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Enjoy friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails