Tuesday, March 9, 2010

..surgery..


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths" (Proverbs 3:5,6)

..how I'm feeling...

Tomorrow at this time I will be in surgery.  It feels like I was just in the hospital for the same surgery {a year ago} and it's already time again.  I am having surgery to remove 6 ovarian cysts.  I am one of the unfourunate ones that has been given defective reproductive parts.  I have endometriosis along with persisitant reaccruing  ovarian cysts.  Due to the severity of it all, I lost my left ovary last Jan. 09. My Dr tried to do all she could do with a surgery prior to this, but when you have endo {short for endometriosis) it's a problem that continually grows back.  So it was inevitable that I would be having surgery again, I just didn't think it would be so soon. 

I am very fortunate that this time, not only will I have my wonderful Dr performing the surgery, but a 2nd surgeon Natalya Danilyants, MD from the Women's Surgery Center in Reston will be assisting as well.  She is suppose to be one of the best surgeons in gynecologic advanced laparoscopic surgery.  Knowing that I will be under the care of two wonderful surgeons, I feel more calm this time.  I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not worried, scared or nervous, but I know that I am in good hands and that God will protect me, as well as protect and guide the hands of both surgeons.  There is always the risk that the surgery could end up being major surgery where I would be cut open again.  Mostly likely this won't be the case, but I have to be prepared for it.  We don't know what things look like inside now a year later.  This will tell my Dr a lot.  If the endo has progressed on my right side I have no idea what's in store for me.

My recovery will be anywhere from 3-6 weeks more on the lesser end.  I will take this time to heal, relax, and just totally focus on me and my body.  We want all this yuck yuck out of me so that having a baby is going to be any harder than it already is.

Tonight will be a long night.  Liquid diet and sorry TMI; a bowel prep that will start at 8 pm and go well in the early am...this part sucks.  10 glasses of water to stay hydrated and living in the bathroom is my kind of night....NOT! I have to be at the hospital at 12 pm so I need to get up at a descent hour to shower and just mentally prepare myself.

..some words of advice..

if you or someone you know has female reproductive issues, don't ignore them.  I was ignored for more than 12 years and ended up loosing an ovary and my chance to have a child naturally because of my dr's neglect.  I always knew something wasn't right.  The amount of pain I felt each month wasn't normal and if someone would have just listened to me, everything would be so different.  I can't look back and do the "what-ifs".  What I can do, is listen to my body, take action and get Dr's to listen to me.  I feel so blessed to have met such a wonderful OBGYN.  She cares about my well-being and is always there to help in any way she can....especially when it comes to trying for baby.  If any of you need some advice, someone to talk to, or need a good OBGYN, please feel free to contact me.  I'm very open in sharing my story and my journey and I want to help others like me who are struggling and in so much pain but feel hopeless.  My OBGYN is located in Centreville, VA.  Her name is Dr. Eleni-Solos Kountouris and you can visit her website here.  Remember, these Dr's have seen everything so don't feel embarrassed or ashamed. 

I welcome lots and lots of prayers!!!!

I will try to update you all later this week even if it's short.  The first dew days are rough so I'll most likely be out of commish till the weekend.

Please feel free to leave your comments/prayer reuqests here or if you know my personal contact info, that is cool too.

Thank you everyone for all your love and support!  The hubs and I really appreciate it!


1 comment:

  1. I hope it went smoothly. Keep us posted!

    Rachael
    itssimplelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails